Friday, May 24, 2013

Self-respect

According to the helpful dictionary.com, the word prude is defined as someone who is excessively proper or modest. This applies to areas of speech, behavior, and clothes. This sounds stuffy, presumptuous, and dry. Usually, the word prude is considered negative, harsh. Urban dictionary, while usually on the tasteless side, actually paints a good picture of the word. Sidestepping the first entry, the website defines prude as a girl with high moral standards and respect for her body. If this is what a prude is, then you may call me that every day of my life.

Respect. We've all heard the Aretha Franklin song belted out. I'll be touching on manners and respect for others in posts to come. But right now, I want to promote self-respect. You may claim that you have a world's worth of respect for yourself. Stop right there. If you wear cutoff shorts that barely cover your rear end or drink yourself into a stupor, you do NOT have an inch of self-respect! Self-respect is carrying yourself with poise. I don't mean with your nose up in the air or a stack of books on your head, a la etiquette school style. No, I'm talking about dressing modestly (not puritan style, but we'll get to clothes in another post). I'm talking about having good girl behavior (You don't have to be trashed to have a good time, trust me!). I'm talking about not throwing everything that leading women (Elanor Roosevelt and Susan B. Anthony
to name a couple) worked so hard for down the drain!

Have some self-respect. Don't sell yourself short of what you are capable of; you are a strong woman. Set goals for yourself. Seek adventure. Have patience. Set aside some "me" time for yourself. You can't respect yourself if you don't know yourself. I'll talk about taking the beginning steps in finding inner peace and learning how to grow as a person. This is just a beginning taste of what is to come, so come stopping by and remember to keep it classy ;)

-L

No comments:

Post a Comment